The purpose of this study was to identify ways to reduce the number of Single Occupancy Vehicle (SOV) driving trips.
Driving Trip Characteristics:
- The average household made 31.7 weekly trips by driving.
- The average mileage driven was 144.2 miles per week.
- The average number of SOV commuting driving trips, among those who work outside the home, was 6.9 trips per week.
- The average number of non-commuting driving trips was 26.3 trips per week.
- The majority said they commuted in SOV; only a quarter said they commuted by Metrorail.
- The majority said they were employed in either Washington, DC or Arlington County.
- Saving time was the key factor influencing commuting decisions.
- Changes in job location or home address were the events more likely to initiate a reevaluation of commuting decisions.
Awareness and Perceptions Regarding Transportation Options:
- Awareness of alternatives to SOV driving was very high – respondents were most aware of Metrorail and Metrobus.
- Almost all reported that they believe they have good access to public transportation.
Opportunities for SOV Driving Reduction:
- Commuting driving trips were said to be more readily replaced with alternative forms of transportation than were non-commuting trips.
- But commuters noted that a large share of their driving trips could be made using another form of transportation.
- Residents estimated they could make one-third of their non-commuting driving trips using another form of transportation.
- Residents said they are reluctant to give up their cars.
- Residents said they are more likely to plan ahead to combine trips than to seek out carpools or investigate other means of transportation.
- Mode of Data Collection – Random Digit Dialing Telephone Survey
- Completed Surveys – 500 Respondents
- Survey Population – Resident of Arlington County; ages 18 and older; Licensed drivers; Have at least one vehicle in the household
- Survey Instrument – Telephone Questionnaire with CATI Interviewing
DOCUMENTS FOR DOWNLOAD
Full Presentation (PDF): TRIP Research Report Highlights
Technical Summary (PDF): Summary – 2003 Arlington County SOV Driving Trip Reduction STUDY
Contact the ACCS Research Team for more information.