Arlington Transit (ART)
Arlington Transit (ART) operates within Arlington County and supplements the region’s Metrobus and Metrorail system with smaller, neighborhood-friendly vehicles that connect communities with Metrorail and Virginia Railway Express (VRE). Most of ART’s state-of-the-ART buses operate on clean-burning compressed natural gas (CNG). All buses have climate control to keep you comfortable, run on dependable schedules to keep you on time, and are fully ADA accessible with wheelchair lifts or ramps and priority seating.
- ART supplements the regional Metro system by:
- providing service to neighborhoods not served by Metrobus
- increasing the frequency of bus service in other neighborhoods.
- Riding ART, rather than driving, literally helps to clear the air.
- In addition to alleviating the immediate problem of air pollution, riding ART helps to reduce greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming.
- ART riders reduce traffic congestion by choosing not to use a private lower-occupancy vehicle.
ART has created a strong, reliable connection between Arlington and the region’s destinations by extending the reach of regional transit. ART plays a significant role in reducing traffic congestion in Arlington.
Research has shown that:
- Most ART riders use the service regularly – 58% ride ART 5+ days/week.
- Although Arlington is predominantly non-Hispanic White, ART riders are predominantly Hispanic or African-American.
- Most ART riders are employed, and household incomes are generally less than 60,000.
- Commuters on ART usually worked in Arlington and 38% were Generation X.
The most important opportunities for service improvements highlighted by the research were:
- Shorter Wait Times
- On-time Performance
- Cleaner Bus Stops
ART Research Studies
- 2008 Arlington Transit (ART) Rider Study: http://mobilitylab.org/2012/01/02/2008-arlington-transit-art-rider-study/
- 2008 STAR User Satisfaction Survey: http://mobilitylab.org/2012/01/02/2008-star-user-satisfaction-survey/
- 2006 Arlington County Teen Transit Initiative Study: http://mobilitylab.org/2012/01/23/2006-arlington-county-teen-transit-initiative-study/
- 2005 Arlington County Public Perceptions of Transit Study: http://mobilitylab.org/2012/02/06/2005-arlington-county-public-perceptions-of-transit-study/
- 2004 Arlington County Public Perceptions of Transit Study: http://mobilitylab.org/2012/01/23/2004-arlington-county-public-perceptions-of-transit-study/
- 2003 Arlington County Pike Ride Transit Service Study: http://mobilitylab.org/2012/01/23/2003-arlington-county-pike-ride-transit-service-study/