WHY WE’RE UNIQUE: “Stories, stats, and solutions” about moving people instead of cars
Mobility Lab shares stories, stats, and solutions from the real world for transportation options that are cool, healthy, fun, and efficient. We are a research-and-development initiative of Arlington County Commuter Services (in Virginia, USA), and we collaborate worldwide.
MISSION: Mobility Lab nurtures innovations to a fundamental requirement of human life: transportation. It is a place of collaboration, education, and continuous improvement for moving people in more healthy, efficient, and sustainable ways.
VISION: Our vision is a human population that efficiently navigates individual movements between home, work, and all of life’s destinations. Planning for easy and enjoyable transportation should be no different than researching your choice of a cell phone, physician, or any other product or service. To make this more possible in more places, we envision Mobility Lab as:
- The home of cutting-edge original transportation research,
- A convener and engager of top minds on the topic locally in the DC region, nationally, and worldwide, and
- The leading online source for how we can improve society by offering a better and healthier array of transportation options.
AREA OF WORK: Mobility Lab focuses primarily on something the transportation industry calls “mobility management” or “transportation demand management.” Often, the public is unaware that options exist – for transit, telework, ridesharing, bicycling, and walking – that can make the quality of life so much better. So mobility management or “TDM” consists of strategies that promote, incentivize, inform about, and encourage multi-modal travel options. A successful transportation system is about much more than operating systems. We have to help people use these systems.
Mobility Lab is a “think tank,” and one of our advantages is that we communicate research findings based on our real, daily in-house work within a huge, metropolitan region-wide program; with hundreds of thousands of customers; and with innovative mobility-management partners like BikeArlington, WalkArlington, Capital Bikeshare, Arlington Transportation Partners, goDCgo, The Commuter Stores®, and many others.
We provide our audiences with:
- Well-told and real-world transportation stories,
- Captivating case-studies,
- Original research that provides statistics to back up your case for how and why “transportation demand management” helps communities improve, and
- Practical and relevant solutions that are the outcomes of working with others and listening to what transportation problems need fixing.