As outlined in Arlington County (Va.) Commuter Services’ Program Research and Evaluation Plan, the purpose of this study is to collect and analyze information needed to assess, over time, the performance and impact of CommuterDirect.com.
2018 Key Takeaways
OVERVIEW OF DEMOGRAPHICS
- The majority of current (active) and lapsed (inactive) customers surveyed in this study are employed full-time.
- The majority of current customers surveyed in this study are Boomers and GenXers.
- The majority of lapsed customers surveyed in this study are GenXers and Millennials (followed by Boomers).
- Most current and lapsed respondents are White (non-Hispanic) followed by African-Americans or Black.
- The largest share of active respondents (42%) had a high annual household income (>$120K).
- This study includes slightly more female respondents than male for both current and lapsed customers.
- Most current customers take the commuter train primarily followed by the bus. In contrast, “drive alone” took the highest share of primary modes for lapsed riders.
- The largest share (45%) of lapsed users live very close to work (10 miles or less).
- Active and inactive customers surveyed in this study are most likely to purchase fares for MARC, followed by the MTA commuter bus and then Metrorail.
- Around 23% of current CD users purchase VRE. This is compared to 7% for lapsed riders.
- There is a difference between active and inactive purchases of passes. Active customers purchase MARC Monthly Passes and SmartTrip cards mostly. Inactive customers mostly purchase SmartTrip cards.
- Current CommuterDirect.com® (CD) customers are highly dependent on CD with it being the sole point of purchase for 61% of respondents. Inactive customers mostly purchased from WMATA.com.
- There is a high satisfaction with and loyalty for CD by active customers. More than half of current customers who responded to the survey already recommended it to others. Inactive customers are also very satisfied.
- Individual website and fulfillment services are also highly rated.
- The Net Promoter score for CommuterDirect.com is 58%.
- Most current surveyed customers use the electronic smart benefit (63%) and the majority find it easy to set up.
- Awareness, use, and satisfaction with renewable order service are high. 74% of active customers who were surveyed in this study are likely to very likely to use it in the future.
- Half of current surveyed respondents contacted CommuterDirect.com for a problem, and were satisfied with the assistance.
- The data shows that CommuterDirect.com might be impacting some level of behavior change with 30% changing behavior after visiting CD and 11% indicating that CD might have influenced this change.
- This is important if read in conjunction with 28% of customers having driven alone on most days before visiting CommuterDirect.com.